Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Three ways

His fingers are so unerringly direct, without falter and with no quarter given. I am fixated. 




St. Clements Yoghurt Cake
Adapted from a Mary Berry recipe to make it suitable for me .. gluten and diary free .. and because I like that pumped-up threesome flavour I made it orange, lime and lemon too. 

Ingredients
300g caster sugar
50g unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs, separated

225g thick sheeps' yoghurt
Zest of 1 lemon (and a lime)

175g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

250g fondant sugar
4tbsp orange juice (or use hot water with a splash of orange extract)

Grease and line with parchment paper a round, deep 8 inch cake tin. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.

Cream together the softened butter, sugar and egg yolks until the texture is pale and fluffy - an electric beater will do this in minutes. 

Pour in the yoghurt and add the lemon (and lime, if using) zest. Beat until the mixture is well incorporated and smooth.

Sieve the flour into the mixture and, using a large metal spoon, gently fold it in until there are no traces of flour to  be seen.

Next, in a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold a large spoonful of the whites gently into the cake batter to loosen the mix, then add the remainder and keep folding gently until there are no traces of whites in it.

Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for an hour. At the end of the hour, test the cake by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake and check that it comes out clean .. give the cake a few more minutes if necessary. 

Leave it to cool for a few minutes before removing from the tin. When completely cold, make up the fondant icing (simple instructions on the packet) or use icing sugar and water for a thin glaze. I like to make an orange icing for the sweet St Clements twist, but a lemon icing will be just as delicious.

Even better the next day, but don't take my word for it .. try it yourself.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUM!

Ceeej said...

GF self raising of course? Is there a brand you'd recommend?

Anonymous said...

Fuck the recipie.

Forgive me for not lending a supportive word.

My life (my partners life also went apeshit - alcohol related) and I find myself unable to function, has some complications.

I could not reply from where we were to support you. I was not not able.

Keep strong! You have a good soul to travel with.

Fuck the the deadly freckles. If so affected, keep posting photos.

No less a woman. In fact change tack to celebrate any change.

Its not something my better half could do, but this is life and your blog is a celebration of life - right?

Thinking of you.

Q.

Carnalis said...

C .. i always use Dove Farm gf flour. it is ace.

Q .. thank you, sincerely