Finally finally my latest cut has healed. I didn't realise, until the scab finally smoothed over, that the strain of repair has been dragging me down so far. But I seem to pop back again, bobbing like a cork.
German Apple Cake, my way.
There are so many recipes out there, you need never repeat them. I have, however, happily repeated this one.
180g caster sugar
300g self-raising gf flour
1 teaspoon xanthum gum
6 cooking apples, peeled and thinly sliced
4 tablespoons sultanas
2 tablespoons demerara sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
half teaspoon nutmeg
juice of 2 lemons
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan, add the sugar and stir until he sugar starts to dissolve. Add the flour, xanthum gum and stir well, beat in the 2 eggs.
- Spread half the batter over the base of a greased tin (22-24cm).
- Layer half of the apple slices over the batter.
- Mix together the sultanas, sugar and spices and sprinkle over the apple.
- Cover with the rest of the apples, sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Spread the remaining batter on top, in spoonfuls.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes, or until cake is cleanly baked.
I serve this with whipped cream. Whip it, baby.